Thursday, July 21, 2011

Make a Bird Mobile with the Aviary Design Card

When I first set eyes on the Aviary design card for the Slice, I thought how fun it would be to make something where these beautiful birds could actually fly... so I made this paper mobile. It's great to use my Slice "off the page"!


I used the gorgeous Making Memories Paper Reverie (Brun Antique) collection for the papers, ribbon and embellishments, so I knew everything was going to work together really well.

First, I picked half a dozen different birds at 2" from the Aviary design card, from the ones that were flying rather than just perched. Then I cut out two of each, one on the Normal setting and one on the Mirror setting, so I could make them matching on each side.


For the hoop at the top, I made a circle with a pipe cleaner. I didn't add the ribbon till later but here's a pic of both:


I cut differing lengths of clear fishing line (about 5" - 10") and attached one end to the hoop, and tied a Paper Reverie Bauble on the other end. Then I adhered each pair of birds back to back at different heights using tape runner. I filled up the spaces using double sequins, which I adhered with E6000.

I added another length of fishing line to either side of the hoop at the top so I could hang the mobile. Mine is about 16" but you could add whatever length works for you. Then I covered the pipe cleaner with ribbon from the Paper Reverie Trim cards (as shown in the picture above).

Once the glue was dry, it was time to take my birds outside and let them fly in the summer breeze! J




Would you like more fun ideas and tips for how to get the most of your Slice? Make sure you become a fan of the Slice Facebook page!

~ Caroline ~

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is really beautiful! Neat idea! Deb M :)

    ReplyDelete