Thursday, June 9, 2011

Jungle Slice Design Card


I had a lot of fun with today’s layout, using the Jungle Slice Design Card and a lot of different patterned papers. A while ago, I had the amazing opportunity to go on safari and thought this would be a great chance to use some of my photos! One memory of the safari was that the animals you want to see don’t always appear when you want them to, even if they might be very close by! I took this idea into my layout and decided to use images of the people I traveled with, and have the animals off the photos and cut out from the Jungle design card instead.


I only used one design card on this layout (unusual for me!) but I used papers from three different Making Memories collections. I love how the various collections work together and can be versatile enough to be used in so many different ways. One of the background pieces of paper is from the Panorama collection, and the green one in front is from the Dilly Dally collection. I cut the giraffe at 4” from the yellow version of this background paper and matched up the pattern to “hide” the giraffe in the green paper. I also cut the lion at 4” from Dilly Dally paper, and the 4” leopard from the leopard paper that is in the Paper Reverie Brun Antique collection. The 2.5” gorilla was also cut from Paper Reverie paper.


I tried to incorporate the personality of the animals into the layout to add a bit of fun. The giraffe’s long neck going into the group of people in the photo makes it seem like she wants to see what they're up to. The lion is cut from paper that makes it almost hidden on the background cardstock, close by but not too visible. The gorilla is “hanging” from the paper block underneath the word "relax":


The leopard is trying to walk off the page!

I cut the Land Rover at 2.5” from Kraft cardstock. The 1.5” compass is cut from Dilly Dally 8x8" paper, but I exchanged the middle part for an arrow brad from the Panorama collection, pointing into the layout.


I wanted to have the camouflage theme in the title too, and cut this very cool “safari” at 4” from the Jungle design card on Panorama paper. Then I outlined the words with a brown colored pencil just to add some more visual interest and make it a little easier to read.


I cut the 1.5” camera from the same Dilly Dally paper as the lion and added it to the top photo, playing off the theme of cameras and people looking around in the picture. These photos were originally taken on a film camera so I scanned them and printed copies. This meant I wasn’t afraid of adhering the camera to the picture - always better to make copies than use original photos!

Finally I used a thin strip of the green Dilly Dally paper on the left side of the page just to bring it together.

There you have it! How to mix lots of papers and how to get the most out of the Jungle design card. Have fun!

If you’re on Facebook then become a fan of the Slice page to stay up to date with the latest ideas and tips.

~ Caroline ~

No comments:

Post a Comment